The glacier Sermeq Kujalleq is the most researched glacier in the world. The research on the glacier has contributed decisively to the understanding of the glacier brooks in the rest of the world.
There are several reasons for the great interest in research carried out at Ilulissat Icefjord:
- Due to its great velocity and productivity, the Sermeq Kujalleq is one of the most interesting glaciers in the world.
- Due to the long history of research carried out in the area, more than 100 years of data describing the glacier and the Icefjord is available.
- The proximity to Ilulissat city allows for relatively easy access to the glacier and the Icefjord.
- Analyses of ice cores from the ice cap might among other issues provide knowledge about the earth’s climate throughout more than 100,000 years.
- The climate changes are first noticed in the Arctic Regions, where they have the greatest impact. Knowledge derived from climate research in Arctic Regions is hence significant to the understanding of various types of contexts in the global climate.